"I liked today’s structure in terms of pace and timing, and it felt good to have little questions/review/dialogue between each section from the chat. I’ve been to many events which have not been anywhere as smoothly and professionally run as todays was." Natalya, Disability Adviser.
Over three quarters of disabled students would prefer not to share information about their disability with an employer*. This reluctance is preventing them from requesting the support they require to compete in the recruitment process and, in some cases, resulting in them being rejected from the process.
Based on research undertaken into ‘Openness’ this workshop will enable delegates to understand the concerns that disabled students have about disclosure and how these can best be addressed; recognise the benefits that come with being open (and the consequences of not); and enable them to advise students on when and how to inform an employer.
The webinar will:
- Highlight why employers ask about disability and how they use the information
- Provide insights into why students are so reluctant to be open about their disability
- Build understanding into the benefits of being open, and the consequences of not
- Enable delegates to confidently advise their students on whether to disclose, how and when
- Provide practical tools to use with students in preparing to disclose a disability
There will also be the opportunity to hear from students who will share their own personal insights regards being open with an employer about their disability.
This webinar will be delivered by Helen Cooke, CEO and Founder of MyPlus; it will be run as an interactive event and provide the opportunity for discussion, questions and sharing best practice. This webinar is free to attend. Please note this webinar will not be recorded, and the presentation will not be circulated.
* Openness: Understanding why students are reluctant to be open with employers about their disability
This webinar is taking place on Tuesday 14th May; 9.30am to 10.45am.
Who should attend?
This webinar is ideal for anyone working in careers and employability who is keen to build their expertise to provide the specialist careers advice that students require to enable them to overcome the additional challenges that having a disability can bring to the job hunting and recruitment process.
I thought your multi-layered approach to ways in which sharing (disclosing) may be helpful gave reassurance whilst also recognising that this can be a complex matter.
Claire, University of York